Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Calling a spade a spade

Hack (noun)- unimaginative writer: a writer who produces routine unoriginal writing, especially for newspapers, magazines, television, or movies.

For a while now, I have felt this tug, this pull to do something. To say something. To use what I've been given. I never thought that would be hard, or that I would fight it so much. Why? Why this struggle? This inner turmoil that seems to bind my hands and my thoughts?

Someone once said, "Do the best with what you've got." I have no idea who actually said that or where, but knowing me, it was probably either A) a cartoon after school special or B) an 80's sitcom. In that spirit, I bring you this: "The Prayer of St. Thomas". Pretty mysterious huh? Naming a hack blog after a famous theologian? That's how I suck you in. You think it is going to be all profound and shed a revealing light on some mysterious bag of mystery, but no. Nothing like that here. There is nothing mysterious or profound. Just one man, trying to obey God's call.


"Ineffable Creator, Who, from the treasures of your Wisdom, have established three hierarchies of angels, have arrayed them in marvelous order above the fiery heavens, and have marshaled the regions of the universe with such artful skill, You are proclaimed the true font of light and wisdom , and the primal origin raised high beyond all things. Pour forth a ray of Your brightness into the darkened places of my mind; disperse from my soul the twofold darkness into which I was born: sin and ignorance. You make eloquent the tongues of infants. Refine my speech and pour forth upon my lips the goodness of Your blessing. Grant to me keenness of mind, capacity to remember, skill in learning, subtlety to interpret, and eloquence in speech. May You guide the beginning of my work, direct its progress, and bring it to completion. You who are true God and true Man, who live and reign, world without end. Amen."*
~St. Thomas Aquinas


*Anderson R. and Moser J. (2000). The Aquinas Prayer Book: The Prayers and Hymns of St. Thomas Aquinas. Manchester, NH: Sophia Institute Press

No comments: